WG Davies has been in business since 1927.
In 1926 William John Davies and his wife Rachel started a Haulage Company.
In 1949 The business moved premises to Copper Pit Yard Landore and over the next 17 years traded and expanded to a fleet of some 40 vehicles and 65 trailers. John Davies and Vivian Davies, the 2 sons, became involved and after the death of William John Davies in the early 1970's took over the ownership.
The business moved to the existing site at St David's Road in Swansea in 1966. The business responsibilities were divided - John Davies had the responsibility for Workshop issues including Fleet Maintenance etc and Vivian Davies had responsibility for Transport.
The Managing Director John Davies, and wife Eirwen Davies, Company Secretary, decided to develop the opportunities for vehicle maintenance.
This has led to the business as it is today. Vehicle maintenance has included large and small customers. W.G. Davies serviced and maintained for a period of 7 years all the Mid and West Wales Ambulance and Health Authority vehicles.
In 1985 John Davies was approached by South Wales Commercials - the then Agent for ERF to carry out some re-call work for the National Coal Board at Ammanford. As a result of the success of this work W.G. Davies was approached to become a dealer. W.G. Davies took on the Parts and Service Franchise.
In 1998 an acquisition of a business in Sageston, Tenby added a second depot. This depot has a dedicated Petroleum Regulation Workshop and is recognised as MAN ERF UK Ltd Service Centre for West Wales.
A further depot was added in September 2001 when the company were successful in gaining a contract with Wincanton First Milk for the Maintenance and Repair of the Vehicle Fleet used to collect and deliver 1 million litres of milk a day throughout West Wales. An additional depot at Haverfordwest was opened in May 2002 - again this was for Wincanton First Milk.
During 2003 W.G. Davies along with every other ERF Network Member, applied for preferred status in the new integrated Network of MAN ERF UK Ltd. This was as a result of the formation of MAN ERF UK Ltd and BER (Block Exemption Regulations). The Company achieved Truck Centre status in Swansea and Service Centre status in Tenby.
Roger Davies was appointed as Managing Director in January 2004 and following this in July 2004 the company were awarded the franchise for MAN Truck & Bus UK Ltd at premises The Truck Centre situated in Wentloog Industrial Park Cardiff & at the Service Centre situated at George Street Bridgend to cover South East Wales.
The company operates Parts & Service centres at all their branches serving customers from all areas of industry including Petrochemicals, Construction and Distribution.