Saturday 21 st April: Managing Director Roger Davies, Service Manager of Swansea & Llanelli Andrew Dyer and Marketing Manager Rachel Davies each stepped out for a 14-hour Charity Walk; in total over 75,000 steps!
W G Davies has been in business for some 90 years now in various guises. Back in 1926 William John Davies and his wife Rachel started a haulage business.
The business initially moved to Copper Pit Yard, Landore in 1949, then over the next 17 years the fleet expanded to some 40 vehicles and 65 trailers; in 1966 the business moved to the existing site at St David’s Road in Swansea.
John Davies and Vivian Davies, the family's two sons, became involved after the death of William John Davies in the early 1970’s. The business responsibilities were divided - John Davies had the responsibility for workshop issues including fleet maintenance etc and Vivian Davies had responsibility for transport.
John Davies (Managing Director) and his wife Eirwen (Company Secretary), decided to further develop the opportunities for vehicle maintenance; this has led to the business as it is today. Maintaining customers vehicles has included a wide variety of large and small customers; then in 1985 the business was approached by South Wales Commercials - the then Agent for ERF, to carry out some re-call work for the National Coal Board at Ammanford, soon after W.G. Davies was approached to become a dealer for ERF as a result of the success of this work and the business took on the Parts and Service Franchise.
1998 saw a business in Sageston, Tenby which added a second depot to the company. A dedicated petroleum regulation workshop, soon after the takeover of the site W G Davies at Tenby was recognised as the MAN ERF UK Ltd Service Centre for West Wales.
A further depot was added in September 2001 when the company was successful in gaining a contract with Wincanton First Milk for the maintenance and repair of the vehicle fleet used to collect and deliver one million litres of milk each day throughout West Wales. An additional depot at Haverfordwest was opened in May 2002 - again this was for Wincanton First Milk.
During 2003 W G Davies along with every other ERF Network Member, applied for preferred status in the new integrated network of MAN ERF UK Ltd. The Company achieved Truck Centre status in Swansea and Service Centre status in Tenby.
In January 2004 Roger Davies was appointed Managing Director and in July that year the company was awarded the franchise for MAN Truck & Bus UK Ltd at The Truck Centre, situated within the Wentloog Industrial Park Cardiff to cover South East Wales.
The company today offers parts & service operations at all three of its current branches, serving customers from all areas of industry including Petrochemicals, Construction and Distribution.